POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : wip needs help : Re: wip needs help Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wip needs help
From: Ben Birdsey
Date: 14 Sep 2000 01:04:34
Message: <39C05E87.2C284B3D@netscape.net>
That is a really great rendering.  From the sand to the colors to the
textures.  Just great!

	And I think the problem with the shadow line is POV's problem.  You
see, in real life a light source will illuminate a surface less
efficiently the farther it is away from the surface normal.  So, as you
get closer and closer to the shadow line, the intensity of the highlight
should really trail off.  This is a *real physics* effect, but it is
less pronounced on rough surfaces. (like  when the rough bits peek up
over the horizon when everything around it is still in shadow)

	The problem with POV is that neither phong nor specular take this
effect into account, only diffuse does. (I don't know about Blinn...)

	Another *real physics* effect that you have some control over is the
size of the sun.  If you're not using an area light for the sun, I'd
suggest one.  On the earth, the sun's diameter takes up about 2 degrees
of the sky.  It really does have an effect if you look at the edges of
shadows cast by buildings and tree leaves, etc.  Maybe it would smooth
the shadow out over a couple of degrees around R2's dome.

BTW great render and great model!

In Him,
Ben